Monday, December 6, 2010

India: the first two days

I began to collect names of people that I need to see and made two appointments to see people later in the week.  It was a rather uneventful first day.  A couple from Montreal were here and I tagged along with them to FabIndia to get a shalwar kameze so that I would be dressed similarly to the natives.  I shared their lunch here.   Another couple went out to meet a friend and were gone the whole day.  The Montreal couple were leaving that evening and had their own worries.  They couldn't confirm their booking with Air France back to Montreal so I ordered in while they prepared to go the airport.  It seems that flights from Europe leave late.  Their flight was leaving at 1 AM so they left at 9:00 PM since they couldn't confirm.  So I couldn't do much else because I didn't want to walk alone and I didn't have the right size money so I was kind of stuck.

My next day was much more interesting. (I met the staff.  It is Monday here as I write and the director contacted my research affiliate for me.  She also arranged for me a driver so I could do some sightseeing. I  went to the India Gate, a huge war memorial, the Lotus Temple made in the form of petals (not open but I will go back), but a great picture, and Humayun's Tomb which is actually  a whole series of buildings circa 1565 of the Mughal era. The driver was not the least interested in talking about the sights so that was a little disappointing.  If I could have gotten him talking then I could have gone on to more interesting aspects of Indian society.

At 3 PM I began my research business and visited Jamai Millia Islamia which means National Islamic University.  I talked to 3 professors there and got more contacts with police officials. I'll be going back there to give a brief talk on community policing in the United States. One of the professors there, Professor Ray, who is working on his PhD dropped me back at the Institute.  Not too long after that a driver took me to the the nearby market place   I had vegetarian dosa.  It is kind of very thin crisp pancake or bread filled with potatoes and a few other vegetables.  I took a bicycle rickshaw back.  It's not more than a half mile and everyone says it is safe to walk, but I don't want to. There is no one here that I can walk with and I certainly don't want to walk alone. I'm taking my American friends and family's advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment