Saturday, December 4, 2010

On to India

I arrived in India at 01:35 AM.  It took until 2:30 to get through Customs.  I was amazed at how many people were in the airport at this time.  I got in one line and it seemed to not move so I got in another and then in another.  I think the customs people felt they just needed to do something so they stared at the passports. The official asked me what research I was doing but, of course, it said what I was doing in the visa.  The driver was there to take me to the American Institute of Indian Studies.  It turns out there was another car there picking up two others.  Why one driver couldn't have picked us all up is unclear.  Got here around 3:15 AM. It also turns out this is a temporary facility while the Institute is being rebuilt so there are only 3 rooms, a dining room, kitchen and outer office where I can email.  India has Sat and Sun as the weekend so the hotel manager is not here and there are two men here to make breakfast and handle other issues.  The couple that came at the same time I did are going to get a phone so I hope to be able to get a phone when they do.
Mr Ashok Kumar and Mr VJ are here to help us today. 

We talked about getting a driver for tomorrow  I don't want to have to rely on taxis since I will not know what it is an appropriate charge so Mr. Ashok Kurmar will arrange a driver. 

British Air is very class based. (No kidding) They had two other classes, one with little pods so that you could actually lie down so what I was interested in was that those levels of service could have electronic equipment charged.  That meant that I in economy class couldn't really use my ipod on the plane.  So now I have only 20% charge left and have to find out how to recharge it.

No comments:

Post a Comment